THANK YOU! MinistrySafe did a great job presenting a Skillful Screening Seminar this past Tuesday at First Baptist of Ft. Lauderdale. Over 100 people attended the workshop where Dr. Kimberly Love discussed a more effective screening process for all of the employees and volunteers that are in contact with our children. We want to thank First Baptist of Ft. Lauderdale and Philadelphia Insurance Company for their support.
What did we learn?
- 90% of victims are abused by someone they know and trust.
- Criminal background checks are no ‘silver bullet’, because less than 10% of sexual predators will encounter the criminal justice system.
- Two out of three kids don’t disclose abuse until they’re adults, if ever.
- Offenders ‘groom’ a child for abuse by gaining access to and selecting a specific child, introducing nudity and sexual touch, and keeping the child silent. This 'grooming process’ is known, validated, and recognizable.
- 1 in 4 females and 1 in 6 males will be sexually abused before reaching 18 years of age.
- Effective screening practices can limit the possibility that an applicant with inappropriate sexual motives gains access to children at child-serving organizations.
We hope everyone that attended found the information enlightening. Cypress Insurance Group and Philadelphia Insurance Company are committed to bringing more of these seminars to the Ft. Lauderdale area.
If you want more information about these seminars, please contact Doug Teuton at (954) 771-0300 Ext 250.